Nobody likes toll roads. You can navigate around those pesky wallet traps with your iPhone and Android phone. Both Google Maps and Apple Maps offer alternate directions that allow you to take the (cheaper) scenic route and avoid toll roads. Especially when driving through cities you don’t know, avoiding toll roads using Apple Maps or Google Maps is a smart way to avoid accidental extra expenses. Here’s how to avoid toll roads using Apple and Google Maps.
How to avoid the Toll Road on Apple Maps IOS 10 or later
Apple Maps lets you turn on avoid toll roads. This is done within the Settings app, which can be confusing if you’re expecting to see the option within Apple Mpas. To turn toll roads off:
- Open the Settings app on iPhone.
- Tap Maps.
- Tap Driving & Navigation.
- When you get directions in Apple Maps, it will automatically choose a route without tolls. However, you will still have the option to choose a toll road if there’s a faster route that includes them. Toll routes are indicated by the dollar sign next to the travel time.
How to Avoid Toll Roads with iOS 9 or earlier
Apple Maps lets you know when a route has toll roads. You can then select alternate directions to navigate around them.
- Open Maps on your iOS device. Maps is standard on iPhone, so you shouldn’t need to download it.
- Search for your destination or starting point.
- Tap the info box above the red pin that appears on the map.
- Tap Directions.
- Sidenote: you can tap the squiggle with an up and down arrow left of the search boxes to switch your Start and End destinations if needed.
- Enter your Start location or use your Current Location.
- Tap Route
Go to maps on IPhone and type in address you want to travel to and enter. Tap on apps screen at top of start screen and then choose google maps. tap on routes and then options. Choose avoid highways, tolls or ferries
How to avoid the Toll Road on Google Maps
- Tap the blue button or Route.
- Sidenote: you can tap the up and down arrows next to the search boxes to switch your “from” and “to” if needed.
- Enter your “from” address or use your current location.
- Tap the three vertical dots right of the search boxes.
- Select Route Options.
- Toggle on Avoid Tolls.
- Tap the back arrow to return to the maps
- Tap the blue circle with a white arrow pointing up to begin navigating.