Thank you for your time to visit Not My Toll Road. Please also visit the section Those Affected to get a visual of who the toll roads will affect.
PLEASE STOP THE 241 TOLL ROAD EXTENSION THROUGH SOUTH ORANGE COUNTY AND HERE IS WHY?
1) San Clemente and TCA decided long time ago that a toll road through it would have devastating effects – our General Plan specifies 50% open space. This toll road will ensure economic hardship, neighborhood and community cohesion by bisecting our city, negative response times for first responders, air quality, noise, traffic, visual impacts and environmental impacts.
2) The settlement agreement between the TCA and the environmental groups creates significant environmental impacts to watershed, endangered species and mitigation land (open space) equal or worse than the Green Alignment.
The proposed routes will be going through 6 protected and endangered watersheds. Protect our watersheds!
3) We believe that the mobility study in November was flawed, where the questions forced you to give an answer to one of the routes. At no point did the TCA disclose that the Green Alignment was off the table knowing full well they were in the process of settling a lawsuit.
4) Transportation is changing at a fast pace. Don’t build 1970s technology when we can have Hyperloop, drone taxis and self-driving cars coming out within the years end.
5) Employment centers are NORTH!! People don’t drive to San Diego for work. As one councilmember from North OC said: “we want this toll road so we can go to dinner in San Diego if we want to” . That is not a reason to destroy South Orange County
6) This is a vanity road – only wealthy people can afford this Toll Road
7) Our homes values, views, health and quality of life will be deeply affected
8) Endangers Wildlife Habitats to many species in South Orange County and will destroy of many South Orange County beautiful trails.
9) Their own mobility studies indicate that free ARTERIAL roads are better solutions.
10) Transportation is changing – Self Driving cars, Drone Taxis and Hyperloops -for the council member that wants a vanity Toll Road to go to dinner in San Diego, invest in the Hyperloop – it will get you there in 30 minutes.
11) Building more Toll Roads will only lead to more construction of more roads and buildings and more traffic. It will lead to more destruction of our wildlife and endanger our kids health.
If you build it more traffic congestion will come!
Katy Freeway Houston Texas – 26 lanes
12) One of the alignments would go very near 7 schools -Tesoro High School, San Juan Hills High School, Vista Del Mar Elementary School, Marblehead Elementary School, Bernice Ayers Middle School,Truman Benedict Elementary School and San Clemente High School.
In 2003, California passed a law that freeways can’t be constructed 500 feet from schools. Living near a freeway has detrimental effects on learning, lung capacity and higher risks of cancer.
13) We value our open space and we bought our homes as such. If we wanted to live in Irvine, we would do that but we chose to live in Ladera Ranch, San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente. San Clemente is nearly 100 years old, is fully developed. The TCA has never gone through a fully developed city
14) Cost per mile to build this Toll Road could be at par with the failed bullet train (Pacific Research Group)
15) We have the highest tolls in the nation. To compensate with sagging ridership, the Toll Road has risen their Tolls 12 times since inception.This is just another Tax on citizens – (Pacific Research Group)
16) According to Pacific Research Group, The Toll Roads have received over $1.7 Billion dollars of taxpayer money through grants, developer fees. Once the Toll Roads are completed, Caltrans is responsible for maintaining roads at Taxpayer expenses. Fix the current roads.
17) If this was truly about mobility, lower pricing should be offered at the other Tolls (241 nd 73) to take more cars off the road. Use price management according to times of the day.
18) San Clemente does not meet Air Quality Standards (AQMD) NOW, a Toll Way will add more to this problem.
19) The open space that you want to go over is already been used as mitigation land. You can’t mitigate the mitigation land.
20) None of the studies included minority groups and disenfranchised groups that will not be able to afford to ride on this VANITY Toll Road.
21) According to their own studies – this Toll Road will have minimal impact on traffic reduction -2% to 8%.
According to the Coastal Commision it will only cause more traffic and contribute to more emmissions
22) The routes can potentially lower property values to up to 12,000 homes with an impact of $100 million in taxes to city and county potentially (assuming 10% drop of prop values on average after homes lose views or are next to a tollway when they had open space before)
“San Clemente was founded and built by Ole Hanson, my grandfather, with a very beautiful idea in mind: An authentic Spanish Revisionist Architecture town by the sea that blended into the gorgeous landscape and ocean shore. Quality of life was one of the main ideas, with the nice Mediterranean climate complimented by the Sunshine. Here, he considered, was just the place for swimming, walking, exercise and health in harmony with nature. The plan was right out of Ole Hanson’s philosophy of life that he shared with his good, late friend, President Theodore Roosevelt. Now, those who have no interest in the City of San Clemente, nor the healthy lifestyle it promotes, nor the beauty of the city and it’s history, plan to sully the beauty of this magical place with a hideous toll road. This is something that my grandfather would oppose intensely….And I share his sentiments. This monstrosity must be stopped and not allowed to proceed. Oppose this with every inch of your political fortitude. I stand with you. Phil Halfhill Hanson”
#notmytollroad photo credit: Craig Book
The TCA has been stopped 3 times in the past. That the TCA now proposed slashing through developed areas and taking away the San Clemente High School sports fields is UNACCEPTABLE.
The TCA has become irrelevant and should be dissolved. They had over 30 years to build these roads and failed to do so. In order to get California back on track we need to stop this vanity road project that discriminates against seniors on fixed incomes and may other families in South Orange County that cant afford the roads to be done away with. The proposals will destroy the quality of life in South Orange County, our homes values will decline and noise and congestion, as well as run off into our watershed and ocean.
We are asking the Directors at the TCA to not vote for something a City does not want – and only to vote for routes that a City does want. If the TCA needs to connect to the 5 freeway then extend Crown Valley to the 241. The TCA pretends to be for mobility but conducts studies to see how much they can charge before people will stop driving the roads. If they were truly concerned about mobility then they would lower the prices on their existing assets and get more people driving the underused Toll Road System.
It is imperative we have an opportunity now to dissolve the TCA and help our broken pension system – these people at the TCA are out of options that they would propose these routes and their time has come to be done away with. Cal Trans should take over the Toll Roads and the financially irresponsible agency should be dissolved ending all the cushy pension benefits to the CEO Mike Kramen and all the employees.
Thank you for your time and for the fight to is upon us. I hope the force is with us to prevail for the 4th time.
Lies, Lies and More Lies
Only 2% of OC works in San Diego. Our traffic data shows the problem is still in Irvine.
Putting a Toll Road through San Clemente does not solve the traffic problem all it does is compound’s it because you’re not just taking traffic away you’re actually dumping traffic in to Pico and into San Clemente you are also slashing the town into disjointed parts.
See the daily traffic or lack thereof by commuting citizens and find out more about the real traffic situation on https://notmytollroad.com/the-issue/traffic-reports/
How can they say by building toll roads you protect the environment? More Lies . . .
Debt, Debt and More Debt
New Analysis of Orange County Toll Roads Reveals Unsustainable Debt Levels, Cost Overruns, Financial Mismanagement, and an est. $1.7 Billion in Taxpayer Subsidies
• TCA to have much smaller debt service payment in the early years but will result in huge increases in annual debt service payments each year through maturity outpacing TCA revenues—unless there are substantial increases in tolls or ridership—and likely forcing a default or another restructuring.
• Refinanced debt and added another $1 Billion for a total debt obligation of $11B
• DUE TO FINANCIAL PROBLEMS: GROUP SHOULD STOP EXTENSION OF 241 NOW
• Cal trans should stop subsidizing the toll Road and Fix I5
Below are important dates below (please calendar them ASAP) and other information concerning the proposed Toll Road routes.
It is imperative that the City of San Clemente bands together right now and keeps constant unrelenting pressure on Lisa Bartlett’s and Todd Spritzer’s office and the TCA.
We have a critical need for education of residents as the TCA’s plan are so outrageous to weave between developed communities, so close to schools many people do not believe it will ever happen. With the Notice to Proceed of the Oso Bridge issued by the TCA last week, the 241 Toll Road extension is moving towards SC very quickly. (Flyer attached) If you are willing to be at the Farmers Market to pass out information please let me know.
I am thankful for our City Council’s unanimous opposition to the Toll Road coming through San Clemente See letter under Files
How can they justify how their CEO makes $393,000 salary plus benefits? That’s more than the CalTrans director, and the CalTrans budget is fifty five times the size of the TCA, with over 20,000 more employees!
A Proposed Toll Road Map
Proposed Toll Road Route #9 in Ladera Ranch cutting through trails
Petition to Stop the Toll Road is here https://www.change.org/p/tca-board-stop-the-toll-road-through-san-clemente?recruiter=5717294&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
Petition to Dissolve the TCA is here https://www.change.org/p/jerry-brown-governor-brown-dissolve-the-tca-toll-roads?recruiter=5717294&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-no_msg
Join the Face Book Group San Clemente San Juan Capistrano Not My Toll Road if you live in San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano or outlying area https://www.facebook.com/groups/719373918241251/
Invite all your friends outside of San Clemente but in Orange County to this has sharable events that can be posted to your time line and other groups. https://www.facebook.com/NOT-MY-TOLL-ROAD-115232709039382/
To get a bumper sticker’s ($5 suggested donation) or yard signs ($10 suggested donation) go to Petit Bohomme on Del Mar Street or Firehouse Ribs located at 111 Palizada
If you want to donate to help with the printed materials etc here is a go fund me – this is not a legal matter collection https://www.gofundme.com/stop-the-toll-road
To purchase a shirt for the upcoming June 5, 2017 Public Forum
Under Files you will find the Maps of the Proposed Routes – this will impact 7 schools and make San Clemente just like downtown LA.
2.Call and Email senators, representatives, the TCA and those responsible for pushing for a Toll Road extension through South Orange County. Contact these people – Let your Voice be Heard https://notmytollroad.com/get-involved/contact-these-people/
5. Get Informed and Inform Others with Flyers and Documents: https://notmytollroad.com/files/
7. Join the Resolution Revolution by taking a stand against the Toll Road extensions in Resolution 671-89. We need more HOA’s, group and businesses from San Juan Capistrano, Ladera Ranch, San Clemente and Rancho Mission Viejo to join this growing list. If you are ready to be added to this list or need some tools to make this happen email [email protected] https://notmytollroad.com/get-involved/resolution-revolution/
8. Get signs and stickers your house, business or car https://notmytollroad.com/get-involved/get-signs-and-stickers/
8. Do you have a great idea or have a question? Please email [email protected]